I have heard the wonders of drinking Read Raspberry leaf Tea during pregnancy, especially in the 3rd trimester to help tone the uterus and aid an easier labor when time comes. I did not try this during my pregnancy with QB, so this time, I really want to see if it works for QB2.
Well, just like many suggestions or old wives tales when it comes to labor, it all really depends on how your body reacts. Some may work, some may not. And as each pregnancy is different, surely labor and delivery will be too. As some may know, QB was overdue last time. He came at 40+2. Trust me, being overdue is NOT fun! You are already feeling super heavy, super tired, and the waiting game makes you so anxious and stressed. This time, I am really hoping that QB2 will come on time or anytime after 39 weeks. I have done all sorts of suggested ideas to bring on labor quicker with QB, but of course it didn’t work, not even after 2-3 membrane sweeps! So this time, I am very determined.
What I know about Red Raspberry Leaf Tea?
In my own research, I found out these information that helped me make the decision to try it.
- It tones your uterus and makes it more effective during labor. It also means that each contraction that you have will be deep and makes progress.
- It makes labor pain more manageable (if you’ve done it before, you KNOW how labor feels like). From what I’ve read, many said that the contractions were painful but manageable and when they are checked, they dilated a lot and next thing you know, its time to push!
- It reduces labor time. I labored for 7 hours with QB (from when contraction started till he was born). I consider myself lucky because some first time mamas have it for 12-24 hours. Even then, it’ll be awesome if labor was shorter. Not too short, but a good amount of time (no one wants to have baby in the car!).
- It helps even in the after birth. Because your uterus is very toned and effective (it knows what to do!), delivering the placenta could be easier too, and it helps shape your uterus back to normal quicker (from the size of a watermelon, back to an orange). That means getting back in shape faster, without a pooch for too long.
- It is safe, pretty much proven and no risk. Research also says that it helps in milk supply and breastfeeding too after birth. Reducing the pain of uterine contraction during breastfeeding.
Here’s a great article written on RRLT during pregnancy and how much to take it —> Red Raspberry leaf Tea in Pregnancy. Google is a great source of information too if you are deciding weather or not to take it. Bear in mind though, that RRLT may not be suitable in the first trimester (again, depends on your body).
Currently, I am taking 2 sachets/cups a day. The recommended amount would be 3-4 cups in the third trimester, but I may increase it probably around 36 weeks onwards; I don’t want to risk any signs of early labor or a premature baby at the same time. I am saying this because I am already having Braxton-Hicks contractions every now and then. My belly would tighten so hard and then get back to normal. Practice contraction is what they call it. It is not painful, just uncomfortable and makes it hard to breathe or eat. Happens to me more in the evenings.
Where can I buy Res Raspberry Leaf Tea?
There are some local retailers that carries this tea but unfortunately, they are not 100% red raspberry leaf (according to the nutritional facts and ingredients listed). They have the same info and write up on it; that it is for menstrual cramps and pregnancy), but I am not so confident. I wanted an organic one and those that had personal reviews and experiences so I chose to buy from iHerb.
If you’re not familiar with iHerb, it is an online store from the US and they specialize in health, beauty, baby and mostly organic products. Recently, they have been pretty famous in Malaysia and ships direct to us; which is super awesome! Also, now you can change the currency to MYR which makes it easier to see the prices and they have pretty good discounts and deals often. If you want to give it a try, feel free to use my DISCOUNT CODE —> or LRB354 when you checkout for USD$5 off your first purchase! A very good deal indeed. You save RM20+ and that’s the price of one box of this Red Raspberry Leaf Tea!
Here’s the RRLT that I bought. I bought 2 different brands to try because they both seem to have great reviews and they’re both organic. I wanted to try both just for fun and to satisfy curiosity.
I will keep you updated on the results and give you guys updates too along the process. I am taking this tea religiously because I am praying that it’ll work!
Have you tried Red Raspberry Leaf Tea during pregnancy? If yes, please share with me your experiences!